Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Do Not Let Them Pass By

I was just informed this afternoon that BYU has awarded me a half-tuition scholarship for next semester. Usually they only award scholarships at the beginning of each school year for the fall and winter semesters. This is such a HUGE blessing because it either means we can cut back on my student loans a bit, or we'll have a little extra money to pay a couple months worth of rent for winter semester. Either way, it's awesome news! I am so thrilled!

The only possible downside is that I was only going to take 12 credit hours winter semester. I guess someone else thought better of that, because in order to receive scholarship moneys, you have to enroll in at least 14 credit hours. Is it worth the extra 2 credits to get half of your tuition paid for? And technically, it's more than half your tuition since you don't pay extra for anything over 12 hours. Heck yes, it is so worth the added stress of one more class!

So I started looking for classes I could possibly take. I mean, I've had it all mapped out for a while which classes I would take and when. How to make my life as simple as possible this year. I could add my last ComD class for this year. I was planning on taking it in spring since they just started offering it at that time. I have no other classes for my major or minor floating out there. And then I saw it. BYU, just this year, started offering an ASL interpreting class. Hurrah! This could be my only opportunity to take this class. It could be my only opportunity in my college career to start learning to interpret. On top of that, it would be awesome for my future post-grad career.

BYU started offering 2 sections of interpreting. I will only be able to take the first section, but in my opinion, it's better than nothing at all. At least I'll get a foundation. Plus, I've already had this teacher before. She's tough, but she's really good. I haven't taken any ASL for more than a year now. It makes me a little nervous. But I'm still really excited and I've been able to use what ASL I have quite a bit lately.

Opportunities like this don't come around very often. And when they do, we must do something about them. Seize them for what they are. Use every inch of them. And thank the Lord that he has blessed you so abundantly.

"Do not let them pass by saying, "sometime I'll try," but go and do something TODAY!"

No comments:

Post a Comment