Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remember When

I can't remember everything from 9/11/2001. But I do remember being at school and watching all the devastation on the news. I remember being in shock at what was going on and not really believing it. It was a horrendous event and I pray for all the soldiers, servicemen and families who were scarred by the terrorist attacks on that day.

Today, Cory and I kind of commemorated the day by watching documentaries about 9/11. We started flipping through TV channels looking for something worth while. A lot of standard cable channels were airing football games, which I found pretty disrespectful. Okay, I know people can't stop their lives for an entire day to remember the past. Oh wait, what is Memorial day, and Veteran's day, and all of the other holidays we've started to remember fallen soldiers or devastating events? We do have a day. And yes, I know not everyone actually takes the time to remember.

And I'm not really expecting the world to stop just for 9/11. But I think airing programming 9/11-related would have served this country a whole lot better than football.

We are in such a state of selfishness and apathy in our nation. The youth don't care how their actions effect others because their parents haven't taught them.

I feel like failing to remember the events of the past is actively searching for failure in the future. I feel we need to respect those people who give their lives to keep us safe. It's the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and I was 14 and probably don't realize the full significance of the tragedy. What happens in 10 more years when no one remembers? We are the generation that experienced it. We need to be the generation to remember and learn to be unified with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment