Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gotta Serve Somebody

I had the most wonderful morning today. The other day I found out that a wonderful woman from my mission was having an internship interview at BYU yesterday. I was very excited that she was in town and this morning she called to see if I wanted to meet up. I thought, "heck yes, I do!" And while I was already considering skipping my first class this morning (I know, shame on me...) this sold me. I didn't have anything else going on until 1pm. Why not?

We had a wonderful conversation about her interview, family, relationships, my engagement and fiance, and just about everything else. Plus she gave me a GIANT chocolate bar from Estonia (her home land). One thing she talked about really hit me.

I can't exactly remember what she called it, but it was something with service in the name. She talked about how couples serve one another. Their roles are equal. In a situation where the wife stays home, the husband goes out and works. The money he brings in can buy food, shelter, clothes, etc, serving the family. He can usually expect come home to a clean home and food for dinner. In this way the wife serves her husband. However, what the husband's income cannot buy is love, affection, intimacy, loyalty, etc. In order to acquire these things, he must give them to his wife. They share these things and serve one another in this way also. If he expects love, affection, and intimacy from his wife strictly by merit of his monetary income, his wife becomes nothing more than a prostitute. They equally contribute to the family and should acknowledge their service one to another. Love will grow and flourish.

I am so grateful for a man in my life who wants to share responsibility with me. Who wants to work to support his family. Who thanks me when I do kind things for him. Who understands how to love me perfectly. Who does kind things for me without being asked. Who talks conflicts though. Who keeps me calm and rational. Who has the faith of a saint. Who never expects more of me than I can do or be. Who wants to be a real father.

I'm also grateful for very wise friends who have the strength of a thousand (insert something really strong here cause I can't think of something that can do her justice).

No comments:

Post a Comment