Friday, January 14, 2011

Their Words Mostly Noises

Let me tell you a few things about BYU freshmen...

Some of them are wonderful, bright, funny, mature, and well-grounded.

Others, however, are just stupid.

I had such an encounter with this last type of freshmen this past Thursday. During a forum address by Condoleezza Rice, former Secretary of State. Fortunately my roommate got out of class early to save seats for Cory and me so we could attend the address in person. The down side to this is that a freshman girl was saving seats for her friends just behind ours.

This is how this went down: Cory and I found Lauren. As we approached our seats, this freshman had her feet on the back of my seat. It was obvious we were going to sit there since Lauren was talking to us and moving over for us. The freshman didn't get the clue and didn't move her feet until just before I tried to sit. Then, instead of sitting like a normal person, she slouched so far (she was short too, mind you) that her knees almost perfectly replaced where her feet were previously. I got to sit with her knees in my back. At least until she decided it wasn't comfortable for her.

Lauren began to tell us how glad she was we showed up when we did because ushers had just told her, and everyone else, to stop saving seats. It may have been announced, but I just assumed she was told by an usher. So as we were sitting there, once again, it was announced to move in to the center of the rows and stop saving seats. Shortly thereafter, an usher came to tell the girl to move her things off the extra seats, and she acted surprised. Oh yeah, we've all done it in an attempt to stay out of trouble while getting what we want. I don't entirely blame her... but still. It only makes the experience better.

Shortly thereafter, her friends showed up. Oh boy. Through the entire introduction of the Dr. Rice, these girls were texting and exclaiming, "how rude!" Along with mocking the boy who offered the opening prayer. I don't think this particular freshman was paying much attention to what was being said. I had a difficult time focusing since she was talking practically directly in my ear. Not whispering, mind you. My favorite comment she made was right after Dr. Rice spoke about the failing state of our K-12 educational system. The audience applauded in agreement, and the girl's comment was something along the lines of, "our education system is failing and we're applauding why?"

The thing that disturbs me more than her complete ignorance is that she wasn't taught, or completely ignored any lesson on etiquette. Any concept of social propriety was lost on her. Again, we all do this on occasion, I'm sure. You're in a movie theater and you laugh or talk more than necessary. But really, this is an opportunity of a lifetime for most, and you ruin it for not only yourself, but everyone else in hearing range.

Just tonight I received an email from my boss in the HFAC mentioning that prior to any musical performance, we need to announce that all electronic devices be turned off. Not just cell phones, but laptops, and we must specify that audience members, out of courtesy of the performers, should not text during the performance. Since when does this need to be said? And at BYU? Most of the culprits of these technological offenses are freshmen or sophomores. I rarely see a junior, senior, or grad student with their laptops or cell phones out during a performance.

After posting on facebook that the ARC wouldn't allow me to schedule a donation from my cell phone, a couple of my friends had a nice debate about cell phone etiquette and the need for technology. It's my personal belief that technology can be a blessing, and it has been. But with all good things, bad things happen. In this case, again, it has. It's time to step back to social propriety. Not in the PC way, but being considerate of the people in your surroundings. Put your cell phones and laptops away for just a few minutes or hours at a time. I've lived without mine, and you can too. They're convenient, but don't ruin life's experiences for everyone else around you. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment