Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cause You Might Get Run Over or You Might Get Shot

Being cussed out by strangers at 1 o'clock in the morning is one of my favorite things.

Here's how this all went down:

So there I was (I'm told this is a captivating beginning to a story), sleeping. During the night I often times open or close my window right next to my bed depending on how hot or cold I get. What you should know is that my bedroom, along with 8 others, is directly above our underground parking area. As you should know, underground parking is designed so that everyone can hear each sound produced within the parking area, in case of emergencies... So from my bedroom, you can hear each car door, engine, footstep, conversation, or scream, that originates from said parking area.



Last night was no different, except the sound I woke up to was not exactly one I've ever heard at this hour. Oh yes. I woke up to the sound of someone skate/long boarding down the ramp of our underground parking. The fact that it woke me up was frustrating enough, but, trying to improve my patience, I resisted the urge to drop heavy objects out my window in hopes of smashing them, thus stopping this obnoxious noise and allowing me to fall back asleep quite satisfied. I hoped they would stop. Soon. But no. The noise persisted. That whir of small wheels rolling, the crack of the board flipping over, this mysterious person stomping away to catch themselves with the wheels still rolling behind them. I began to lose my patience after attempting to stop, or mute the noise by closing my window. Still, nothing. And I was hot. So I began softly yelling out my window asking this person to stop, go home. I didn't want to wake my roommates, but I got a little louder with each cry. He was either ignoring me, or really didn't hear me. I doubt he didn't hear me.

I was happy and angry when I heard Lauren's door open. She heard it too. This night boarder had roused more than one innocent person from the sweet bliss that is sleep. This just shall not do. It's one thing if I'm the only person affected, but bring my friends into this and it's business time! Someone is going down! Lauren and I were equally angered and charged our way outside for a confrontation. Apparently someone got to them first. More victims! But I didn't realize this initially. So when I thought he was returning to the top of the ramp to make another run, I asked if he realized that people lived here. Yes, perhaps there was a hint of sarcasm and frustration in my voice. Or a lot. But nonetheless, he responded with equal sarcasm and resentment. "Oh, where all the doors and windows are?" This was going to go well. I reply, "Yeah, that's what those are for." And to to try to tone it down since I could sense it would only get worse down this path, "Do you realize what time it is?" That didn't help at all. "You don't have to be a b**** about it!" Huh! A complete stranger, whom I've only had one brief exchange with, as already presumed to judge me. Ah, the kindness of strangers. I snapped. "Hey, I'm only giving you the same consideration you decided to give me." And, my favorite response from this gentleman... "You need to go get f*******!" Wow. Didn't really expect that. Followed by a few "F-you's."

Fortunately our neighbors, whom up to this point I never had a real respect for, chimed in ensuring the guy knew he was skating in our parking area. They actually defended us. And as a reward, this sk8erboi chucked a can at their cars, screaming profanities, as he sped away.

I hope you night was less eventful.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, a noise I am all too familiar with, righ tout side my bedroom window. Luckily, the cops patrol the Smiths regularly so I don't have to deal with them. Thank goodness it'll be cold soon. The skaters go away, and the loud thumping music goes. Although, that is starting to go out of style....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad of me that my favorite way of dealing with such matters is usually to call the cops? I am very glad that I no longer live in appartments and that we live in a town where there is a skatepark to lure the skaters away from residential areas.

    ReplyDelete