Monday, September 27, 2010

A Welcome Arrow Through the Heart

Life truly has its ups and downs. Especially in the life of a single college student. I can't pretend that anyone outside of this category has things figured out or easier than those of us within. Nonetheless, life is full of little surprises. This week: boys and cars.

I couldn't be happier with my boy situation right now. Slow and steady is working out perfectly. Everything seems to be new and exciting, even though I've been in this stage with many other boys. It's still new and exciting each time. The difference is that each new boy gets better and better than the last. I don't sit around wondering if there's someone better than this one. That's dangerous. Just enjoy the moment. I must admit there have been boys I've dated where I've absolutely known for certain that there were plenty of boys out there much better than the current one. Why I didn't leave the relationship right there and then is something requiring a lot more background information that we're not getting into here. I am enjoying the moments. Especially those little moments of progression or reassurance that they do, in fact, have an interest in pursuing you further. They ask those certain searching questions with genuine interest. Each time you accidentally touch there's a spark. Then there's that look they give you. Not the usual, "you're crazy" look I get from most men. No. It's the look of "you're a little crazy, but I find it endearing." And of course, there are those moments when you both have to laugh, loudly at one another and at yourself for the silly things you do and say, but it's a laugh of joy instead of embarrassment. These are the moments we hope for.

The car situation, on the other hand, is a little less pleasant. This past weekend my "Check Engine" light starting flashing its ugly little face. I wouldn't have been very concerned with it except for the engine overheating and needing to pass an emissions test to register my car for the next year. So I took it in hoping it would be a simple repair. Of course not. Fortunately I had money enough to pay for this semester's rent saved up. Unfortunately a good month and a half of rent is now in my car. Again, fortunately I have a job. The wonderful event that came from all of this is that once the repairs were finished, my car passed the emissions test with flying colors. FLYING! Why would I be so excited about how well it did? Well, last year we drove around like mad trying to find a way/person/place/thing that could rig things so my car would pass. Not an easy task. We were frantic. It's a blessing to not need to think or worry about that for another couple years. Or until my car dies completely. Hopefully it will be longer than just another couple years. So I won't be able to fly to Wichita with my Mom this Thanksgiving, but my car runs well, I'll get better gas mileage, and I'll be able to drive my car because it will be registered.


Blessings, blessings, blessings. Keep 'em comin'.

And did I mention that I finally started going back to the gym? Up until recently my lungs just haven't been up to it. I wasn't able to laugh without coughing something fierce. While they're not yet 100%, I can't wait any longer. The weight I lost is starting to creep its way back and I will not have it. Plus, I like going to the gym. And now my newest roommate is coming with me. I like her a lot. We get along quite nicely. The gym + new roommate = bliss. Happy Kayla. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment