Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Oh, Oregon! Paradise Without the Sun


That line comes from a song a friend of mine (I went to high school with him IN Oregon) wrote all about the beautiful state of Oregon. I love Oregon. Oregon is the reason I love rain. Oregon is where I built most of my friendships. Oregon is definitely where my heart is.

About 5 weeks ago I was feeling like Death and really wanted to be around my family. So I call up my sister in Oregon asking if I can come visit her. I was planning on driving out the next day and staying a week, but decided better of it. I was sick. I didn't know what I had at that point. I didn't want her poor kids to get the yuck. In my genius, I hopped online to look at airline fares. Not so good, but still probably do-able. A few days later a checked again. The airline I take from Vegas to Oregon had fares $19.99 each way for Labor Day weekend. YES! That is definitely do-able. So with taxes and fees it ended up being about $75 round-trip. Pretty sweet, I know. I jumped on that one right away and a friend of mine from Salem did the same. To save on gas we drove down together, which was nice having someone to talk to on a drive I normally make myself.


I got to spend an entire weekend with my sister, her two, beautiful children, her husband, and her in-laws. It was fantastic. We played, we shopped, we ate (more that I usually eat in one week. It was very difficult to shove all that good food into my body, but I did it. . . and probably gained a few pounds too), we laughed, I breathed (for the majority of the time), and just had fun. I love hanging out with my sister so much.

As we were driving to and from the house I realized I had forgotten how beautiful Oregon truly is. I've missed it so much and hope to some day return to live there for good. It may be when I'm old and retired, but still, Oregon is where my heart is.

On this trip I also got to see my sister in Vegas, my parents, and my best friend, Mike. We lost a loved one (RIP Batman) and discovered who was expecting. And with any trip there's always a little drama and trauma, but we learn to cope. But thank heavens for the people the Lord has put into my life to help me cope with some of those things.

Oregon is GREAT! You should all go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment