Friday, October 8, 2010

Under the Willow I Breathe A Prayer

We just finished the BYU Homecoming Spectacular. It was so much fun. Absolutely fantastic. We sing this beautiful piece that is by far my favorite. I don't feel like I've sung a song so beautiful in a long time. I think much of that has to do with the message and the spirit.

Under the willow she's laid with care
Sang a lone mother while weeping,
Under the willow with golden hair,
My little one's quietly sleeping.

Fair, fair, and golden hair
Sang a long mother while weeping.
Fair, fair, and golden hair,
Under the willow she's sleeping.

Under the willow no song is heard
Near where my darling lies dreaming;
Naught but the voice of some far off bird
Where life and its pleasures are beaming.

Under the willow I breathe a prayer
Longing to linger forever
Near to my angel with golden hair,
In lands where there's sorrowing never.


It seems like each performance Sister Applone gives us something to think about. This time she asked us to think about where the mother in this song turns from grieving to hope, then what this mother might be praying for.

One girl made the comment that the only thing this mother might have left in her is this prayer. Her grief is so overwhelming that she can only breathe this prayer, knowing that the Lord will still hear it from her heart.

I can't imagine the pain of losing a child. But I imagine this mother, stricken with grief, not praying for her child. No. I think this mother has more faith than to pray for the welfare of her daughter's soul. I imagine her praying for the strength to continue. Not to move on necessarily. But to have the courage to leave her child's side, to continue in her life, and to live in such a way as to be worthy to return to her precious, golden-haired daughter.

My thoughts then turn to my relationship with my Father. I wonder if I have that same determination to return to Him. I wonder if I longed to linger forever with him. When I sing this song with the choir, I don't imagine myself as a grieving mother. I picture myself with my Father. What it might feel like if I return on Judgment Day unable to live with him. Longing to linger with him. Deep in my heart I breathe a prayer for that same strength, courage, and determination I will need in this life to return to him so I don't have to experience facing him knowing I can't stay. I am far from perfect. I know where I need to be and I want to be there. I'm working for it. Hopefully, for now, it is enough.

Oh yes, L. Tom Perry was at the Spectacular front and center tonight. That was pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment