Monday, August 9, 2010

This is the End

This past week was my last week at EFY. It breaks my heart a little when I think about it. In fact, I was contracted for one more week (this week) in Twin Falls, Idaho, but I ended up canceling my contract. Why? you ask. Well, because the past two weeks of EFY my health has not been so great and I haven't been able to spend the time I need with my kids. This past week especially I was in bed sleeping more than I was with them. I didn't want to put another group of kids through that, I didn't want to put myself through that, and I really want to get healthy before choir auditions and school starts. Not what I want to do, but what I need to do.

Here are some highlights from this week though:

Monday I met my kids and they, again, are fantastic. Four of my girls are from Alaska, and honestly, they're all great. My boys too. This was probably the strongest group of youth I've seen all summer. Orientation: not feeling so hot. We're out under the seating of the stadium all week which is weird, but whatever. You just go with it. It's EFY. It is hot. About 100 degrees hot on Monday. So I move from where I'm sitting with my kids and lay on a bench a few yards back in the shade. Have to sit up to cough a few times which makes me dizzy. Health counselor comes to talk to me. I start crying. I don't know why. All I want to do is sleep. So one of the BC's starts walking me back to our housing. Just as we get out of the stadium and into the sun. . . that's right, I start throwing up everywhere. Luckily I was near grass. I feel bad for the BC. Oh well. I go back, sleep until FHE, and go back to my kids who greet me warmly. Love them!

Wednesday I ended up sleeping half the day. Finally decide to wake up and shower. Get out of the shower and back into my room (still in my towel) and notice a text on my phone. I start responding to that before anything and hear the keypad on the door (we had keypads and not keys). I think it's my roommate coming in for free time. Then the bedroom door begins to open slowly. Strange occurrence since I think it's my roommate. With my back still turned to the door, I hear, "Oh. . . you're naked." I turn, and it's my BC. She assures me she was coming to check and see how I was doing. I don't see what the big deal is. I'm in a towel, not naked. Yet, she continues to gawk at me like I am, in fact, naked.

I find out later that my BC that week had the morning off and went to the temple. All week she has been sneaking in to do small acts of service for us. Well, Wednesday morning, since she was at the temple, she sent the male coordinator to do it for her. So he walked in while I was sleeping. A little creepy to think a boy was in my room while I was sleeping without me knowing it. Also a little creepy to think that he could have been the one to walk in on me in a towel that afternoon. Funny story nonetheless.

Friday was frustrating because I was still sick, but I wanted to meet up with my kids for pictures before dinner or the dance. Who wouldn't? So I go to dinner to try to find them. Throughout the week this hasn't been a problem. They're always there on time because if you're not, you don't eat. But I can't find them. So I wait at our company spot until dinner ends hoping they'll be there. No. They never come. So I think, the dance is just starting, maybe they beat me there. So I walk over, and no. Not there either. Now, normally I would just call my co to see where they are, but he had no cell this week. Bad news. So I'm waiting there at the dance for them. My co has first dance duty and should have checked in already. 50 minutes later! I see three of my boys walk in. They were doing pictures this whole time! Without me! And, my co completely missed his dance duty. I had second dance duty and I still had to do mine. Which meant I didn't get to spend ANY time with my kids during dinner/pictures/dance on the last day. I was so completely bummed out. The frustrating part was that it didn't even seem to phase my co. The kids missed out on half their last dance (which many of them were sad about). At least I got to teach part of the last devotional and some of us met up Saturday morning to take a group picture. Some didn't show up, so that was sad too.


Some things I've learned at EFY this summer:

1. People genuinely like me. I never really felt that way before about people I've just met. Usually it takes a few times meeting me and really making an attempt before I feel they like me.

2. I can teach. I think it's one of my gifts. Not only can I teach, but I can teach teenagers. Not an easy task. And I love it!

3. I love teenagers. I didn't before. I do now.

4. I can have relationships/friendships with boys. I can do it! I actually have guy friends that I have no romantic interest in, and some guy friends that I find extremely attractive, yet can still remain friends without being awkward. Hooray!

5. People genuinely care about me. I've made some great friends who have shown so much love and concern that it literally warms my heart. I didn't know people were like that.

6. I have hope in getting married some day soon. I always thought it would be kind of far off, and not that I have any real prospects right now, I have hope. And hope is good.

7. Life is easier when you're doing what you're supposed to be doing. That's right! Prayers, scripture study, sharing your testimony. Who knew? Well, we all did. But it's so much easier when you just do it.

8. Music really has to be a part of the rest of my life. Even if it's just in my home and not my career, it must be ever-present. It is powerful and I want in.

9. I want to have a large family. I've always felt this way, but never really realized it until EFY. I've longed to be with my family this summer. But I've also discovered that 6 isn't a lot. My family has 6, my sister has 6. It's doable. And, well, I'll do whatever the Lord wants me to do.

10. Life is supposed to be joyful. If it's not, it's probably your fault. You can still have joy when everything seems like it's falling apart. It CAN happen. And it's supposed to! That's what the gospel is all about. Well, par of it at least. You can make it happen! So do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment