Thursday, April 26, 2012

Change Can Be A Good Thing

First off (I have a lot of first offs these days), baby update: Tomorrow marks the end of 32 weeks. Holy cow! Our little June Bug is so wiggly and I love it. It's so entertaining that Cory and I will just sit at watch her sometimes. She does not like to stay in one place very long. What I don't love is the constant feeling of exhaustion, the increasing pain in my ribs, and how hot I am at night. I have my next dr. appointment May 1st. I plan on asking them how they know how big she is. I know they can tell from measurements on an ultrasound, but I don't get any more of those. And I'm still a little concerned that she will be gigantic. Not so much for me, but for her. Cory's brother got stuck and had shoulder displacia. I guess he wasn't even that big either. I know that really doesn't mean much for me. But still... And since they said I don't have gestational diabetes at my last appointment, I haven't really been eating like I do. For all I know, it could be late-onset like my sister, and I just packed an extra 2 lbs. on her unknowingly. Yep. I'm a new mom. I worry. I know it will be okay. But I'm still allowed to worry about dumb things. It comes with the territory. Right? Secondly, I think we officially have a name for Baby Girl. Lately I've been re-thinking this choice. I'm not sure why. And I'm hoping that if Heavenly Father has a different name in mind for her, that He lets me know pretty soon... because I've been trying to think of other names, and I'm just drawing a blank. Anyway, Baby Girl Scott will most likely be named Olivia June... we're about 95% sure. Cory prefers Olivia Jane. But there's something about June that I love. My second oldest sister and I were talking about this a couple months back and I think I like June so much because my niece, my oldest sister's daughter, is Eva June. Eva brought something very special into our family when she was born... and even before so. Eva has Downs Syndrome. And I think we've learned a lot from her about not needing perfection to be happy. That our ideas of perfect and happiness are not Heavenly Father's ideas of perfect and happiness. That unexpected things are not always bad. And that there is a lot of hope and love to have in this world, even when things aren't our idea of perfect. At least that's how I see it. Eva, and her mom, have strengthened my testimony a great deal, and I would really love that name sake for our baby girl. And I pray she will be an example of hope and love to those around her (no matter what her name is). Now on to the main purpose of this post: Graduation. Cory has been working very hard towards August graduation. In order for that to happen, he needed to have his entire honors thesis completed an turned in by May 15th. In order to finish all his research to accomplish this, he needed the go-ahead from the faculty member he's been working with. Now, this man is essentially a genius. He's co-chair on both the audiology and neuroscience boards at BYU and on various international boards and committees. He travels a great deal to speak in various countries, and gets subpoenaed occasionally to be an expert witness in his fields. He's a pretty important guy. Well, after trying to get a hold of him for a few days, Cory finally heard back from him. The email was simple. "I won't be available until May 14th." Yeah. Remember that May 15th deadline? So, it's pretty much not going to happen. August graduation, that is. The only downside is that we were planning Baby Girl's blessing around graduation and both of our families were coming in. We were just going to make a whole weekend of it all. The good news is that Cory doesn't have to rush and freak out for the next 3 weeks. And for me, that means I can have a Mother's Day and a birthday with my husband. :) So the new plan is that we'll both graduate in December (only 4 months difference... so no big deal), and since they don't have convocation exercises in December, we'll walk in April. The downside of April convocation is that it is HUGE. That's when everyone graduates and all over town is just a mess. But, this way, Cory will actually get to walk with honors. Yay! I mean, he's been working on this for 4 years now... I personally think the man deserves it. And, the honors department throws him a fancy schmancy dinner/award ceremony... so... free dinner! Plus, Cory graduated high school early, so he never got to walk at his own high school graduation. So, we're going to let him do that for college. :) The last little change of plans, after talking to all of our parents, is we will be moving the baby blessing up by a week. So instead of August graduation weekend (the 12th), we'll be blessing Baby Girl August 5th. So mark it on your calendars! It's going to be a party. We think we'll bless her in Grandma and Grandpa Scott's ward in Alpine and do a luncheon up there right afterward. We really have no space for people down here. My oldest sister was very generous to offer her home to us as well, but we though we may as well keep everything in one spot. So that's the plan. 8 more weeks of pregnancy (ish). 4 more weeks until my mom and sisters are here for the baby shower! (I'm SO excited!) Ready. Set. Go!!!

1 comment:

  1. Keep in mind that if you're dr. speculates size, it can be a 2lbs give or take. Your hips were meant to birth babies like the rest of ours so you shouldn't worry about shoulder displacia because it comes from how you're build and if petite little mom can birth a 10lb baby (you) then you could.

    ReplyDelete