Saturday, August 27, 2011

Work & Play

I've determined that getting back into a normal school routine might be pretty hard. This summer hasn't been as packed as the past few summers. Yes, I did get married. So I was really busy up until then. But since we got married, and because work on campus is always slow in the summer, and since I'm no longer working my 2nd job, I have had a lot of time to play. And by play, I mean be lazy at home... since none of my friends want to be my friend anymore because I'm married. Yeah, it stinks.

However, since I am no longer working my 2nd job, and going up to gma's house isn't going to be as easy (we might not be able to make it up every week), I've been on the hunt for another job. I have been eye-balling other on-campus jobs for a long time now, but have never had the extra time to consider applying. On top of that, up until a few months ago, I really loved my job. Well, I still really love my current on-campus job, but now that everything has merged, I feel like everything is unsettled. I'm not worried about losing my job. Not at all. My concern is the hours. Cory has pretty stable hours working in marketing and can add to them with the HM job. Now I only have my HM job with no certainty in hours. And we need to pay rent somehow...

While job-hunting on the BYU student employment site, I came across a listing for a dean's office receptionist. This could be really perfect for me. I've been a receptionist before... about 6 or 7 years ago. I really enjoyed that too. So I scurried into the Student Employment office to take the office skills tests. Okay, so my scores weren't fabulous. But they were higher than the job requirements. During the school year when I'm writing papers all the time, I can type just over 100wpm. When I'm not writing papers all the time, it's about 75wpm. I scored 60 wpm on the OST. Ouch. But they only asked for 50. So I'm satisfied.

Anyway, I applied with a so-so cover letter, because honestly, cover letters are not my forte, and a pretty sharp resume. And I got an email saying that if I told them about my software experience it would distinguish me from other candidates. I responded, and was asked for an interview Monday morning. Hooray!

The job is a solid 15 hours a week. And the hours fit perfectly into my schedule. On campus, you can only work up to 20 hours a week, allowing more students employment opportunities, and allowing students to have time for school work. With a guaranteed 15 hours per week, I could still work a couple nights in the HFAC for my 20 hours a week. With both Cory and me working roughly 20 hours a week, we could probably be secure in paying our bills and keeping food in the apartment. It would certainly be a huge blessing. Plus, if anything else happened at work, or if this merger turns out to be disastrous, I could just quit without being/feeling destitute.

So Monday morning it is. I have nothing to wear, of course, but I am determined to have the best interview of my life. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment