Sunday, July 17, 2011

This Is My Confession

I confess... I am a crybaby.

Cory and I went to the SS office last week to get my name changed, and as we were sitting at the counter, I started to cry. I think it started when my name was too long to put into the forms and I had to make a choice. "Kayla Danielle Merriman Scott" was not going to work. It's one letter too long. *sigh* I know, I'm crazy. But I want to keep all of my names. "Kayla" wasn't going anywhere, obviously. Unless I wanted to be radical and change my whole name to something like Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock. (Those of you who watch the show will get the joke, but I think the point is still valid.) I didn't want to give up "Danielle" either because throughout all of high school, I had an identity crisis and went by Dani instead of Kayla. And, I know most girls are so willing to give up their maiden name as a symbol of accomplishing their life goal of getting married. But I'm not most girls, and I really, really LOVE the Merriman name. It ties me to my family. Or at least that's how I feel about it. It's one of the few things that I share with my brother, and what tells people I am my father's daughter. I have an unnatural attachment to my father. Not unnatural in a bad way. But the man raised me. I guess, subconsciously, I wanted to pass on his name to show the world how much I love and appreciate him and all of his sacrifices. (I can't leave my mom out, she has done a ton in the past many years, and especially for the wedding, to make sure I was alive and well.)

So I had two options, since Kayla Danielle Merriman Scott was out of the picture. Ultimately, I had to make a sacrifice. The government always crushes your dreams, right? (That was a joke...) After the deal was done, I signed the paper, and we walked away, I cried again. And again when I saw my name on my shiny new SS card.

Even in church, when people call me Sister Scott, it still doesn't feel like me.

I confess, I also cry everywhere else.

Any time I hear my husband singing and playing a love ballad, I cry. Well, to be fair, sometimes he IS singing directly to me. And sometimes we sing together. Just because we're like that.

I cry when I pray, thanking my Heavenly Father for my wonderful life, families, blessings, learned lessons, moments of inspiration or opportunity...

I am a crybaby.

1 comment:

  1. So what did you actually go with? Kayla Merriman Scott? I went with Brittney Scott Hales - although, when I moved to MO and changed my drivers license I had the lady tell me that that wasn't possible - I had to have gone with Brittney Chylene Hales because she didn't think you had a choice when you got married???? It was VERY frustrating, but eventually they fixed it and put Brittney Scott Hales on my license (since that IS what my social security card SAYS!)

    ReplyDelete