Saturday, July 23, 2011

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission

My new little brother (new because he's my brother-in-law) just turned in his mission papers on Thursday. It's kind of exciting to me. I guess we have a brother on a mission right now, but he's coming home in November, and I've only talked to him on the phone... so I kind of feel bad but I forget he exists sometimes. Yep, I'm a jerk sister.

I'm really excited for Parley to get his mission call. We made our guesses. To make it official for everyone outside the family, I'm guessing Texas, or Chili... Cory is guessing Louisiana or El Salvador. (In his family you get one state-side guess and one out-of-states guess.)

It makes me think back on my own mission and how neat of an experience it was. I even ran into an Elder from my mission yesterday. In fact, he approached me asking if I remembered him. I didn't... but that's really because he served in an area I was in just after I left. I was amazed ANYONE remembered me at all. That felt really good.

I'm proud of Jared who is serving now, and I'm proud of Parley who will probably be leaving for his mission in the next few months. I hope that the next 4 brothers in line will follow suit and that Hyrum will also decide to serve the Lord in this capacity. It is a huge blessing and opportunity for them, family, and friends.

And just so everyone is aware, I will now have a brother or two serving a mission for the next... close to 10 years. So neat!

It's just so great because, besides my dad, I am the only one in my immediate family who served a mission. So I get to finally help little brothers prepare, etc. I get to tell him to be nice and look up to the example of the Sister missionaries. Because... well, there are a LOT of elders who didn't like us just because we were girls on missions. Sad, right?

I am grateful to all the young men and women choosing to put life aside to serve the Lord. And I'm grateful for my husband, whom the Lord trusted so much to give the experiences he had on his mission, who also decided to serve faithfully.

I know the Lord is continuing to bless us.

No comments:

Post a Comment