Saturday, June 25, 2011

New York, New York

And another one bites the dust.

WARNING: This blog post contains personal views on politics and religion.
Read at your own risk.

New York just passed same-sex marriage. It's legal now.

Let me start by saying, while I don't approve of same-sex just-about-anything, I do believe that if that is your lifestyle, your choice, if your partner is the only family that you have, yes, they should have some of the same rights, like claims to the life insurance policy of your partner you've been with for 20+ years. There has been much debate on this over the past several years and a lot of wrongs have been committed on both sides.

Let me also say that I have had many relationships where I love the person, but not always their actions. Yes, I love my gay and lesbian friends. They are good people. Some of them are good, God-fearing people. But let me also say that I am a little sad for them because I know they can't enjoy all the same blessings that I may or may not have the opportunity to enjoy.

Let me tell you what I know:

I know marriage is between a man and a woman, ordained by God, just like it was in the beginning with Adam and Eve.
I know that sex before marriage is, in fact, a sin (gay or straight).
I know that God's plan for us centers around families. True families. Families that last beyond the grave.
I know that God gives all His children the same opportunities, but we have to choose them.
I know that some of us have challenges in this life that seem impossible to overcome, but I also know that through Christ, ALL things are possible.
I know that God wants to bless His children for their obedience to His commandments, but again, we have to choose to keep His commandments in order to receive the blessings predicated upon our obedience.
I know God loves ALL of His children and wants the best for us.

I do not believe, now that same-sex marriage is legal in a few states, that it is right. Everyone has their agency, their freedom to choose. I know that not everyone believes the same things about religion, morals, etc., as me. Do I want everyone to have the same opportunities for happiness as me? Yes. But I also know that true, lasting, eternal happiness only comes from living the principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That disobedience, no matter how society twists it to look "right", never leads to that kind of happiness.

I am happy for those who feel a great sense of relief and success over this law being passed, but I'm also sad for them because they just don't know what I know. They haven't felt what I have felt. They haven't seen what I have seen.

The fullness of the Gospel is on the earth today, and there are so many who just don't know it.

Marriage is not just a temporal matter. It is a spiritual matter. What is bound here on earth by God's proper Priesthood authority is bound in heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, that's what I believe too. Same with abortion. It's wrong. But we all have the choice, we need to have agency. We will be judged on such matters, so I dont need to judge others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen to this!! very nicely put, not at all condemning but all very true.

    ReplyDelete