Friday, February 18, 2011

Let's Give Them Something to Talk About

It's that time of year again. The time where all over campus, we are reminded to visit our bishops and renew our ecclesiastical endorsements. Every year there seems to be a fashion trend that tries to push the honor code boundaries. Some debate the moustaches of the past year that seem to dawn the faces of many a gentleman. Dress and grooming standards give guidelines on moustaches, so as long as they're within the standard, I won't complain. Even though I find them less than flattering on most. However, I do have a gripe against what seems to have been a trend in women's fashion for over a year now. I'm shocked that nothing effective has been done already.

"Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, strapless, backless, or revealing; has slits above the knee; or is form fitting. Dresses, skirts, and shorts must be knee-length or longer."

Have you guessed what style I wish BYU would crack down on? That's right, my friends. Leggings and opaque tights passing as pants. I have no problem when they're worn underneath knee-length skirts or shorts. They can still be modest when worn according to the honor code standards. But that's not how they're being worn. I understand girls trying to make those short dresses and shorts and long shirts more modest. I'm sorry, but wearing skin tight faux pants doesn't cut it.


In Young Women's, I remember my teachers saying time and time again that one day we're going to be making temple covenants and that we should dress now (modestly) so that when that time comes, it won't be a shock and we won't have to change our entire wardrobes. I have noticed some women on campus still wearing these styles after making these covenants. You can see their garments! If you are truly dressing modestly, you shouldn't be able to see them. Not only that, but the dress and grooming standards explicitly state that form fitting clothes, and dresses and skirts above the knees are inappropriate. We live in Provo. The industry here knows that modest clothes sell. They provide fashionable clothes that fit into our standards. So let's buy those.

So why are girls still wearing this style on campus without any qualms? Why are men turned away that the testing center if they forgot to shave that morning, and women are still allowed to enter with leggings and dresses barely covering their rears? The mystery remains. Is there a double standard? Or has it just not been noticed because it's so popular? I remember, maybe it was almost two years ago now, at the beginning of the school year, a statement from administration was made against leggings. Apparently it didn't do much to dissuade women from breaking honor code. If that didn't work, what can be done?

Even still, girls attending EFY on BYU's campus are sent back to dorms to change if they come out in the morning wearing leggings or opaque tights without something knee-length over them. How can the women of BYU set a proper example to these girls when we are doing just the opposite of what they are taught? Let's step it up ladies. Put on a pair of big girl pants and prove to the world we follow our own standards.

4 comments:

  1. My favorite style . The butt crack on a girl. Put on pants that don't show your crack when you bend over. I know there were years in there where they didn't make stylish pants that covered crack, Butt, (see that) wear a shirt that is long enough.
    When I am at the bank, filling out paper work, I don't want to see your butt crack every time you get something out of your drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I do wear the leggings sometimes with my dresses or skirts that are just a little to short and could show my garments when I bend over. This was a particular problem when I was pregnant. There's just not a lot of selection in lengths when it come to maternity wear. But, I prefer to wear the calf length garments, because I think it's embarresing to see the garment line. Also, I do not think leggings are appropriate at church. The style lends itself to being pants not stockings...and if they are stocking they should not be a necessity to keep your outfit modest and your dress/skirt should be covering you to at least the top of the knee. It's a very cute style, but when wearing it, the leggings should not be see through, in any position...aka bending over. I can't say to much against it, because when I was growing up I wore the spandex shorts and leggings with a longer shirt or dress over top. My only concern is people taking it too far or stretching the rules around to suit their wants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with you more. We have the same problem here at BYU-Idaho. We also have girls that wear see through shirts with tank tops underneath. You would just assume people could follow rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you! It is something that has been driving me NUTS! Like Danielle said, it's a problem here too.

    ReplyDelete