Friday, April 23, 2010

I'm Miles From Where You Are

Well, it's the end of day 3 on my "spring break" vacation and I thought I should let you know where I am and what I'm up to. I haven't uploaded them yet, but pictures will come soon enough. Considering I'm going to start the trip back tomorrow, let me tell you what has happened so far.

Ashley and I took off Wednesday night after the last of finals for Las Vegas. We made a quick stop in St. George for gas and to visit a friend I used to sell with last summer. That was fun. We're meeting up again on my way back into town, which is always a blast. We made it into Vegas around 11pm and stayed at my place for the night. The last hour of the drive went pretty quick due to texts and calls from some close friends of mine regarding a friend and an incident at the school he attends. I don't really want to get into it, but it's bad news and I was up all night worried sick about him and his family. His mom called me again Thursday morning at around 5:30 to update me on the situation. I really didn't sleep at all, but at least I got to rest... ish.

Thursday morning came early. I ran around like a crazed person to make sure everything was prepared for the trip to San Diego. We caravanned with my parents and my sister's family but ended up passing them up because we got tired of all the stops and waiting. Okay, so we made one stop, but after being on the road for 6 hours the night before, and with all the sleep I got, I was ready to not be in the car any more. We did meet up with them again for lunch in Barstow (I know... not far from Vegas, but we wanted lunch anyway) and went our separate ways then. They all went towards Disneyland while we made our way south.

San Diego arrived around 5ish and we were exhausted. After updates on my friend, trying to stay awake for 2 hours and t..r..a..f..f..i..c.. I didn't want to do anything that required my brain or my body to do. Yep, we ate and watched a movie, then went to bed. Sleep came much faster and far more thoroughly than the previous night. Ahh... thank goodness.

This morning we decided to go to the beach, which was wonderful. The sky was clear, the sun was shining, there was a little breeze that kind of made it chilly, but when you're laying on the warm sand, you don't really notice too much. (We did take the opportunity to make a few close friends jealous... ahh the marvels of modern technology and camera phones...) Unfortunately when I put on my sunscreen (yes, I slathered it on because I really am the whitest white person that ever could be white) I forgot a few spots I didn't realize would be seeing the sun. Silly me. So now I have severe sunburns... and it hurts. Not to mention the places I did slather with sunscreen, but still decided to burn. Yep, fun. However, to make soothe my pain, Ashley took me out to lunch (also for the birthday of mine she will be missing next month) and then to a rodeo.

MY FIRST EVER RODEO! And it was great!
Well, it was great until the girls next to us started smoking, then a guy behind us did too... and then there was almost a fight and security came and there was mention made of the girls smoking too and they starting giving us the stink-eye. Did I mention there was no smoking allowed inside the rodeo? They cheered when we left. Really pathetic, right? But the rodeo was pretty great. I'm rather impressed with anyone who can hold on to a horse or bull like that. So, I was bucked off a horse once, and yeah... that hurts. Ouch boys, ouch.

So now we're just sitting here on our computers contemplating the great mysteries of the universe. Or, we're playing random games and thinking about how much we're going to love the zoo tomorrow. :)

The plan is for now: Tomorrow, bridal shower (Ash's sister), zoo - meeting up with my family again... just because the zoo is fun with kids too, then I'm headed back to Vegas. I'll stay overnight in Vegas and start back to Provo Sunday. I'm not sure where I'll be going to church, but I'm going. I'll stop in St. George again to visit summer sales friend and then head to Provo. I don't know when I'll be back, but at least Monday I have nothing going on so I can sleep. Tuesday is back to the daily grind of school.

Speaking of school, I found out today that I got a scholarship for next Fall and Winter semesters! I'm just as shocked as anyone... I've never been eligible for scholarships before. It should be enough to pay for full tuition, and perhaps some books. Yay! My folks were so excited. I think I may have moved up a few ranks closer to becoming the "favorite" child. If I keep this up I might be able to rank higher than one of the beloved cats. Well, I'm not getting my hopes up too high. I'm just glad they were as happy as I am.

So when I get back to Provo, we get to figure out this whole mess with my friend, get ready for school and sleep a lot. Sounds like a good plan to me. But so far, this has been a great vacation. It will be sad to leave this beautiful, beautiful land of California. Just pray I don't fall asleep in the car on the way back. I might need the help.

(Apparently tonight we also decided to raid a friend's facebook wall. We filled it with random confessions of love and jealousy. You know... that's what happens at 2 in the morning. It's what we do when we're not thinking. Some people cliff jump, we write love confessions on peoples' walls. At least we know this guy can take it.... and really, we're the ones who look crazy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment