Tuesday, May 17, 2011

This Is Your Birthday Song, It Isn't Very Long

Yeah, Sunday was my birthday. I was really looking forward to it. Being home. Spending time with my mom and sister. Reading my book. Well, Lauren's book.

I got home Sunday afternoon and no one was home. I was kind of hoping that my mom would be back from church already, but she text me on my way down saying she had to stay for ward choir. So at least I knew when I got there that no one would be there for a while. My mom ended up coming home early, which was really nice.

One of our family traditions... at one point in time... was that we had our pick of dinner and dessert. So when I found out Sunday night that I no choice in either of these things, no one even asked me, I won't lie, I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't ungrateful. And I have to say that the key lime cupcakes that my sister made for my birthday were just divine! I probably would have picked them had I known how delicious they were! My mom gave Cailee one of them right when she finished dinner... no song... no candles. It might be petty, but I felt like no one even realized it was my birthday. It was kind of sad. But, I got to eat yummy tacos and amazing cupcakes, got a couple cards (my nieces made cards for me... and my nephew gave me a penny for my birthday. Cute, I know), and a picture frame. The card my mom gave me said, "Be ready at 7 am, sharp!" 7am! Ready?! Oh boy. I haven't had to do that since fall semester. And that was mountain time! My birthday existed... it just didn't exactly feel like mine.

Anywho, I was selfish and ever so slightly disappointed. I didn't really even get to talk to my dad on the phone for more than a couple minutes.

Well, 6:30 am comes around Monday morning, so it's time to wake up. My mom takes the girls to school and my sister, Korrie, comes by. Mom comes back and the three of us load up in the car. My mom and Korrie are chatting away about something secretive. I'm in la la land. It's 7am. We pull up at Mimi's Cafe. Breakfast!!! And after breakfast, we head over to the spa for facials. Awesome! Okay, I know they were trying their best to keep everything a secret, but I kind of had a hunch that this is what was going on. I'm no dummy. But it was kind of fun with it trying to be a secret. And the facial was so nice. We even got our eyebrows waxed. I had never had my eyebrows waxed. I kind of liked it. It reminded me of my old roommate, Lauren, who can't stand getting her brows tweezed. It made me giggle thinking about her going through the waxing/stray tweezing process.

Right after the facial, we got home and I hopped in the shower. Took a quick, 5 minute shower, pulled my hair up, got a bunch of my stuff together, and headed over to my sister's house. At my sister's house, she did my hair and make-up, and helped me into my wedding dress. No small feat. Her husband, Kendall, who has a photography/videography business, just got a new camera he had been chomping at the bit to do a new project with. I happened to want to do some bridal shots while I was down with my mom. Perfect opportunity. So in my wedding best, I pulled the layers and layers of dress around me and packed into my sister's car, and we drove up to the newly landscaped temple grounds. It was a super fun photo shoot. As usual, the pictures I like best are those that I'm being an absolute goof in. Yeah, that's just me. The nice part was that I was also able to try out a few different head pieces. My sister has a head band and a veil she said she'd be happy to let me borrow if I wanted. Super nice. And my mom was able to come out to the shoot for a few minutes before she had to go back to work. Did I mention about a dozen people or so stopped to stare at me? Not too surprising I suppose.

I got home about an hour before my mom. I have to admit, it turned out to be an awesome birthday. But I still wish Cory were here. I sometimes wish I were 5 again, when the whole day was about me and I got my pick of everything. My dad would take me to toys'r'us and I got to pick out my own toy! (I'm sure it was easier than having to guess what would really make my eyes light up.) Within a budget, of course. I got to go to dinner where ever I wanted. I got my own birthday ice cream cake that we went and picked out together. I think part of it is that I miss having my dad around. I miss the traditions we used to have. Everything has changed. I'm older. The family dynamic has changed and probably will continue to change. The way things were when I was younger are so much different than they are with my mom and my nieces. It's not a bad different. Just different. I think deep down I'm still jealous they get her at the age I wanted her so badly I would cry myself to sleep. *sigh* Things are good though. Better than they ever have been with my mom. And next year I'll have a husband to spoil me on my birthday.

It has been a really great birthday. I feel spoiled. I'm grateful that I got to spend almost the whole day with my mom! She took a half day just for me. She has been so good to me. Same with my sister. Cory's birthday treat was really great too.

Well, that's that.

Happy birthday to ME!

3 comments:

  1. This is a very difficult post to read. I can't speak for how things went on Sunday with dinner but what I can say is that we do candles and ice cream cakes for the kids and even that's not guaranteed so I'm sorry your expectations were crumbled but we have changed things since you've moved out. Monday was fun, even with pictures but a lot of the positives you listed were out weighed by all the negative issues regarding your birthday. I'm sorry you feel like you didn't get what you wanted with dinner and cake but those aren't our traditions anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't think you sound ungrateful, take another read at what you wrote.

    Love you anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you read it wrong. Everything turned out great! It wasn't what I expected, but I never said that was a bad thing. Things change, and I haven't been home for my birthday in a long, long time. But I thought everything that was done for me was wonderful! And my post expresses that. Change happens, it just took me off guard. But I loved everything! So, again, I'm sorry if it sounded ungrateful, but apparently there were a lot of positive adjectives that were skimmed over.

    ReplyDelete