Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Time Is Here

We're getting closer and closer to Christmas. And often the season divides the Scrooges from the Bob Cratchits. I can be a little of both sometimes. For example, I refuse to play Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. It's just a thing.

Well, it also happens to be Cory's birthday. Today, in fact. And my mom was kind enough to send him a gift in the mail. She told me the day she send it so I could keep an eye out for it in the mail. It got here just in time. It was a nice card, but nothing inside. I thought that was strange since she said she sent his gift... not just a card. But either way, no big deal. My mom text him wishing him a happy birthday, and he responded thanking her for the card. Her next text mentioned the card helping on our honeymoon (the vacation we're taking to Florida next week as a belated honeymoon). We hummed and hawed over that one for a little bit thinking it strange that a birthday card would help on our trip. I kind of took over there and text my mom back asking if there was supposed to be something inside the card. Well, yes, in fact, a ticket to Disneyworld was supposed to be inside. But it wasn't. And there was tape on the back of the envelope, which, if my mom is going to seal the back, it's going to be with an actual seal or sticker. It's just her style.

We determined that the ticket was stolen... and someone put the card back in the mail. Sure, strange, but who wouldn't want their birthday card? We were all a little bummed. My mom because she spend some good money and a lot of effort getting it to him on time. Cory because his birthday gift was missing... and he knew what it was supposed to be... and it was awesome. Me because I felt bad for my mom and Cory. It's an all around no fun situation.

That night, Lauren and Ashley came by with Christmas gifts. I gave them theirs earlier. I gave Ashley a photobook of the roadtrip we took 2 summers ago, and I made Lauren some amazing Snuggly Duckling coasters (you know... from the movie Tangled). I kind of wish I had taken pictures of them to show you. Lauren gave me a pretty good waffle maker. Not just any waffle maker, but a circus themed waffle maker! And Ashley, learning how to knit over Thanksgiving break, made me a really lovely and SO SOFT scarf. I ended up giving Cory one of his Christmas gifts a little early since I felt so bad for him (Ticket to Ride - Europe... who wants to play?).

A few minutes after the girls left, my mom calls. She finally got home and got the mail. In the mailbox was an envelope from the post office. Inside the envelope was a letter of apology and the Disneyworld ticket that we assumed was gone forever! It was truly a combination of a Christmas miracle, and my mom being really smart by wrapping the receipt around the ticket (the receipt that happened to have her mailing address on it).

I'm so grateful for the kindness of others. In this case, my mom, my family (for helping us go on this vacation), and the Post Office worker who took the time to send the ticket back to my mom.

It's going to be an awesome Christmas.

(Also, the gifts we got our parents are pretty amazing too. And I'm so excited for them to open them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment